Garten06 Aug 2010 07:27 pm

english german 

Much has happened since our last blog post, the deck is finally done!!

The boards were cut to make an even edge, the edging with stones was lengthened under the side of the deck, we put edging stones in under the boards to keep the dirt from sliding under and the sand from sliding out and finally we were able to screw down the last row of boards.

After we filled in the edging with granite pieces that had been patiently waiting in a big bag on the drivewy, we started edging the deck with granite bricks.  5 bags or 220 kg cement was used to cement in the 56 bricks around the edge.

Just as we thought we had finally cleared the driveway of all building materials , 2 m³ soil was delivered. Kimberly, the neighbors and kids helped filled in the holes with soil while Martin was at work.  They only left 3 wheelbarrows full for him to finish with when he got home.

We planted grass seed that night to make it complete and then we could enjoy it. Almost!

Kimberly spent the last 2 days sanding down the screws and making sure nothing was rough and splintery and then put 2 coats of Bangarai oil on it to protect it from the weather.  Next came some flowers on the side and then it was finally done!!

Garten24 May 2010 08:16 pm

english german 

After just a bit of sleep Saturday night, it was time to get back to work.  After all, Opa had to drive home and we were so close to being finished which proved to be a good motivator to get to work.

We didn’t have the best of luck with the weather and at some points had to run inside with all our equipment while the rain pounded down on the boards.  Once the sun came back out again, it was back to work.

With a bit of help from our neighbors the last screw was in the boards at about 8 pm, another 12 hours after we began playing with the wood for our new deck.  We are more than happy with the end result and it may take months to get our muscles and limbs back into working shape.  It was all worth it!

To be continued.

Garten23 May 2010 08:09 pm

english german 

Once we got the routine down, we all joined in to help with the work.

Even Alida took some pictures for us.

After about 12 hours of work, we were halfway done and took a much needed and deserved break to enjoy the first half of our new deck.

Garten22 May 2010 08:04 pm

english german 

It’s always a bit slow going at the begining, but after you figure it out….

…it all starts to fall into place.

Garten14 May 2010 07:17 pm

english german 

We decided we had to finish today what we didn’t finish yesterday which meant filling the pipes with cement from 8am  to 1 pm.

Then we had 8 big bags (8 tons) of sand and pebbles delivered which needed to be spread out between the pipes.

After the sand was down,  Kimberly spread out the fleece and cut it to fit around the pipes. Then she spread the pebbles on top.

Thanks to everyone’s help we were able to get the last of the rocks off the street and into the deck area.

Garten13 May 2010 06:36 pm

english german 

The second day promised to be easier but it wasn’t.  Thinking it wouldn’t take long to adjust a few pipes to the correct level and fill them with cement, the boys started early in the morning around 8.

Some of the pipes proved to be a bit of a menace and some had to be dug out completely to get the rocks out that were hidden  beneath.

At 6 pm, after 65 pipes were safely in the ground, the boys decided not to fill them with cement but to take care of their aching bones, cuts and scrapes, ripped fingernails and swollen hands. 

Garten12 May 2010 07:39 pm

english german 

Our wood looks good although it’s not in quite the right spot yet.  For now, it will have to stay in the driveway.

First we have to prepare the foundation for the deck.

After long talks and studying all the possibilities, we decided to go with a point foundation.  We marked the postitions for the first holes with flour.

We drilled the first row with a manuel hole driller but after taking an hour to get  just the right depth and level, we decided if we want to get this deck done this spring we would have to rent a better drill.

It went much faster and was much more fun with the electric drill.

This is how it looked after the first day.

Garten12 Apr 2010 10:17 pm

english german 

On Monday afternoon 60 privet bushes were delivered which meant lots of digging for us after work.  First we measured the distance from the neigbors’ lot so that the plants went in the ground straight…

…then we dug the ditch so that all the plants were the same distance apart.
After we had planted 31 plants and it was too dark to continue, so we decided to call it a day and head to bed.  At least we had more than half done.  We watered the remaining bushes and put them back in plastic so they could wait for tomorrow to be put in the ground. 

Garten31 Mar 2010 04:32 pm

english german 

Easter break was the perfect time to have granit delivered which meant we could finally finish the edging of the house and the driveway. 2 big bags (2.5 tons) of granite stones were delivered at the end of the driveway and after 4 hours of work we had it all in place.

Garten29 Mar 2010 12:59 pm

Next Page »